QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
DO I NEED PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE?
Absolutely not! Even professionals had to start at the beginning at some point. If you do have experience from another school, we will assess you to make sure you are in the best class for you. From age 3 to 7, you will be placed into a class by your age. Once you start into levels, you must learn how to walk before you can run... so you must climb the ladder like everyone else.
WHAT DO I NEED?
We observe a dress code here at the Academy for our classes-- for both the safety of our students as well as enabling the instructor to make quick corrections. Each class/level has it's own colour, which helps the student "see" their progression and keep striving to earn the next one. The Academy requires that no one has bare midriffs or legs, so that when we lie or sit on the floor, it is more hygienic; as well as helps with body-conscious students and/or comparison syndrome. We want everyone to feel comfortable and be safe.
**We strongly suggest a dedicated dance bag to carry your prop bag, shoes, dance binder, and any other dance supplies.
Each new dancer gets a binder (just like a school agenda) at the beginning of the year, that they bring with them every class. In it is all of the Academy policies, dress code, and a calendar for the entire season. Younger students get stickers for their calendar every time they attend class. Handouts are sometimes given that students need to add to their binder, so it's important to have it for every class. (Binders are re-used each returning season, and the new pages are put in.)
CAN I WATCH MY CHILD'S CLASS?
We do not allow parents or friends to observe the classes as it causes distraction and confusion for the students (young ones will not understand who to listen/pay attention to). We also consider the very shy student who will freeze up and not participate with a group of "strangers" watching. We strive to create the best learning environment for all of our students, and sometimes students may not participate or take “chances” with the fear of looking silly or making a mistake in front of people. We have special times for parents to observe throughout the year; we know how important it is for you to know what is going on! (*covid allowing!)
WHAT IF MY CHILD DOESN'T LIKE THE CLASS?
The Academy acknowledges that dance is a unique art form and is not suited to everyone. Also, not every student will flourish in every dance form. With that in mind, the student has a period of a maximum two months (or 7 classes) after registration in which to either transfer to a different class or completely withdraw from the program, (with a small penalty). There is a written cancellation clause that is clearly outlines our refund policy on our contract and waiver form.
We kindly ask all of our students and families to be flexible and understanding as we change to stay alongside with government regulations and suggestions. As the situation for the Covid-19 pandemic in continually changing and evolving, the Academy will evolve along side it in order to keep our students and dance family safe. As such, these policies are in a constant state of flux; please ensure that you are up to date-- The Academy will keep all dance families up to date on changes by email and as safe as possible while they are here. For now, the following should be noted:
1. Masks must be worn entering and exiting the Academy.
2. We have allowed time in between classes for groups exiting/entering safely.
3. Barres will be sanitized after each class.
4. Hand sanitizer is readily available for everyone's use. Students will be encouraged to use it at points throughout the class if the situation calls for it.
5. Please encourage using the bathroom at home before coming to avoid excess use of the facilities.
6. Students should have all of their items LABELLED so that if misplaced, can easily be returned.
7. Bring your prop bag to every class so that only you are using your supplies.
8. If waiting outside (or inside!) please respect everyone's space. Stay 6 feet away from others whenever possible.
9. Please be patient and wait outside if the lobby is too full to social distance.
10. You MUST self-assess Covid Questions each time you enter the Academy. Do NOT enter if you feel ill or answer "yes" to any questions.
11. As of now (August 2021), we gently ask that parents wait in their vehicles during their student's class time. Only ONE parent may enter with their student (no siblings, etc.--they must wait in the car)
12. If you have further concerns, please see our "covid plan" that is on display in the lobby. We are happy to work with you if you have any worries about your child's class. We want you to feel safe!